Defined Benefit Plan Consultant
Location Note: Flexibility for REMOTE Or Hybrid from one of our offices in Troy, Michigan, Wakefield, MA or Melville, NY
The Purpose of Your Role:
Do you want to work for a fun, growing organization where people truly make a difference?
We are seeking a knowledgeable, team-oriented Plan Consultant for our Actuarial Services Retirement Plan Consulting Team. This position is customer service focused! You’ll be the day-to-day contact for your dedicated clients and responsible for the administration of retirement plans; communicating with clients; performance of actuarial valuations, preparation of valuation reports and conducting compliance testing.
What you'll bring to Sentinel:
- Develop and maintain strong client relationships across many different industries with varying levels of benefit/financial experience.
- Assist clients with plan design support including but not limited to aligning their DB and DC plans to meet client objectives and IRS compliance requirements.
- Answer a variety of client questions related to plan administration, plan design and participant inquiries.
- Maintain detailed knowledge of ERISA, the Internal Revenue Code and related regulations.
- Review and interpret plan documents, amendments, notices and summary plan descriptions.
What you’ll be responsible for:
- Reconcile participant census and determine eligible, key and highly compensated employees
- Perform annual valuations and determine IRS minimum and maximum contributions
- Coordinate funding with client
- Prepare valuation reports
- Prepare participant statements
- Prepare AFTAP certification, Schedule SB and PBGC filings for actuary signature
- Assist with preparation of Form 5500 filings
- Coordinate annual PBGC filings
- Prepare annual funding notice
- Perform benefit calculations and prepare distribution paperwork
- Perform annual IRS nondiscrimination testing, including aggregated testing with DC plans
- Respond to auditor inquiries if plan is subject to annual audit
- Assist in performance of plan termination filings including filing with IRS and PBGC, if applicable
- Expand professional knowledge through formal training and self-study.
What you need to have:
- 3+ years of actuarial and consulting experience in all aspects of defined benefit plan valuation and administration, combined defined benefit/defined contribution plan non-discrimination testing and alternative plan design.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Personable, able to comfortably and pleasantly deal with a variety of people.
- Interpersonal skills with ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Problem solving capabilities necessary to accomplish the duties and tasks of the position.
- Organized, self‐motivated, excellent time management and ability to work in a fast‐paced environment to meet deadlines while maintaining a strong attention to detail.
Nice to haves:
- Familiarity with Relius Administration (preferred but not a must);
What you’ll be part of:
Our people care about our organization. We are a company with a mission to be the best in our industry and best within our company. Being part of this company means that you are part of something special.
Sentinel was recently recognized by The Boston Globe as a Top Place to Work in 2020. In 2021 & 2022, Sentinel earned a Top Workplace USA Awards from Energage.
At Sentinel, we hire people with all kinds of awesome experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives. We like it that way. So even if you don’t meet every single requirement, please consider applying if you like what you see. Our priority is to find the brightest talent that can add to our team culture, those who actively contribute and who are excited about what they do.
Sentinel is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team. If you need reasonable adjustments at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.
Some of our Benefits:
- PTO (vacation, sick, personal time bank)
- 12 Paid Holidays (10 stated and 2 floating holiday)
- 2 Community Volunteer Days
- 5 Summer Half Days
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- Life Insurance
- LTD & STD
- Parental Leave
See What We Stand For: https://www.sentinelgroup.com/About-Us/Join-Our-Team
Who we are:
Sentinel Benefits & Financial Group proudly serves more than 3,800 clients throughout the U.S., and for over 35 years, we’ve remained devoted to making a difference in the lives of our people, our clients and our community. With nearly 240 professionals tied to our mission to deliver great service—and a 9-year average associate tenure—we have become the only provider who makes benefits EASY: easy for your people; easy for your business; and easy for you.
Our ultimate goal is to take a holistic approach to help people prepare for their future health + wealth needs. From retirement plans to group health insurance to reimbursement accounts to financial planning, we engineer solutions and then continuously strive to make them better. Our in-house experts—and their commitment to excellence—define who we are. In 2021 and 2022, Sentinel earned a Top Workplace USA Award from Energage and was recognized by The Boston Globe as a Top Place to Work in 2020. Sentinel is also one of the largest employee benefits firms in Massachusetts (Boston Business Journal) and was named a 2022 Retirement Plan Adviser of the Year in the Mentorship category (PLANADVISER Magazine).